Wednesday 27 October 2021

A drop to drink

Old OneFish

Rests his too-long fins 
Looks so peaceful and cozy
Hovering above the ledge of a bowl
Or lightly in his hollow log

Just that little thing.
So nice.
I sit on the stairs so I can hang with him
Pull up the coffee table
Rest my laptop
Like his fins

He eats lightly these days
Like any well-aged person
Impassive, disdainful, as extra food drifts past

Young TwoFish darts for every morsel
She vacuums the extra from the bottom.

Do they hear the storm battering the hatches?
The house felt like a submarine last night.
Me, under the water, but cozy inside.

I'm going to have to brave the storm
To go for drinking water
I should have put some buckets outside last night
So much water came down!

The waves are frothing
Whiter than cream
Everything around here is called white this or blanche that
I wonder if it's named for the waves and not the sand?

It's the kind of weather to name a place for
For sure.

But OneFish is peaceful as ever.
And Kokopelmana Twofish doesn't seem to know 
There's a storm either.

Beauty without
Beauty within
Water without
Water within

Must plan better
To get a drop to drink!





I think of this as one of those CBC poems -- those things people come up with when they live alone in the country with quiet time to think and then CBC people put them on the radio for other people who live alone in the country. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

How do you measure your achievements?

  A productivity guru on LinkedIn just asked how we plan to measure our achievements in 2024. Hm. I thought about it. I don't need an a...