Monday 1 February 2016

Poem: Part I: There is Light on the Horizon
















There is light on the horizon
There is beauty all around
But here I stand and shiver
And I quake at every sound

Of ice crackling on the branches
and snow falling to the ground
Was it really worth the danger,
this treasure that I found?

'Round the curve of the mountain
I know that I must go
Through the misty darkness
Tramping in the snow.

The pain in my toes is one thing
But the clench of my heart is fear
The cold on my skin does sting, it does
But I wonder, is the dragon near?

In the valley before me lives a dragon
Of fire and foul breath
Will the crunch of my steps in the snow
Ruin my careful stealth?

Carefully, I place my feet
To descend the slippery slope
This bag of gold is heavy
I'll not fall, I hope

A stone tumbles down before me
And thuds into the snow
I freeze, and squint ahead
Which way should I go?

Did the dragon hear me?
Or will I make it through?
There's nothing to do but step again
So step again I do.

I make it down to the valley
And pause to catch my breath
I've a promise that I must keep
So I stroll to the home of Beth

She's not a' home when I arrive
So I enter in alone
The coins I count from one to five
And place them 'neath her pillow.

She'll know it 'twas me, and know I'm a'right
These strange coins will tell my tale
She'll know I survived, and hiked on past
And drank a mug of her ale.

I stoke up the hearth, and warm my flesh
Until the sting abates
I shoulder my sack once again
Step back upon my trail.

My breath puffs out in the frosty air
misting my way ahead
I walk quieter than I ever have
I've no wish to be dead.

I come to the pond, and see the burned trees
Where travellers failed before.
The dragon is real, then, and here is the proof
It's more than merely lore.

I breathe in deep, but breathe out slow
It's more important than ever, now
Stealth, if I want to live.
Step, breathe. Step, crunch. Pause.

The hill snow was soft,
but the valley's had sun.
The top crackles loud
As my feet beat it down.

Slow going, 'tis,
when you try not to breathe
Your ears listening hard
Every step slow

But never a dragon I heard.
Nor did I hear a bird.
Not a good sign, that.

After an hour, or maybe two
I come to the curve of the hill.
I sigh with relief, and realize
My shoulders ache like hell.

I see a cave there,
A cave that looks warm
Just for a minute
to set down my load
I decide I want to stop.
I need to stop.

It's then that I hear it
The rush-roar of breath
And I know I'm at my end.
I stumble backwards, to find a tree
And I stuff the gold bag in.

I draw my sword
And stumble ahead
The bag must not be found.
But for me, oh I fear
The Reaper's at last come around.


Thank you to Jorinde Brokke for the photo.
Copyright 2016 by Christa Bedwin



2 comments:

  1. You won't need to apologize for the bottom-up order if you link to this page and tell people to use the > and < at the bottom to navigate. Even better, you can include hyperlinks to the previous and next installment. That's especially useful when you're posting multiple series.

    ReplyDelete

How do you measure your achievements?

  A productivity guru on LinkedIn just asked how we plan to measure our achievements in 2024. Hm. I thought about it. I don't need an a...